Secure Your Outdoor EV Charging Enclosures with Multi-Point CompressionArticles, EV, Multi-point latches
As more companies are building products to meet the demands of our growing EV infrastructure market, it’s important to consider the environmental impacts that some EV charging equipment will be subject to. Many EV charging stations will be located outdoors and will need to be designed so that they protect the expensive and often vulnerable equipment inside from nature’s elements.
Keep the Elements Out of Your EV Charging Enclosures
As a leader in the design and production of enclosure hardware for EV charging stations and their related components, DIRAK offers many latching systems that are ideally suited to keep enclosure doors and access panels securely shut, and the components inside safe from nature's wrath. Among the many options, the DIRAK 3-211 and 3-215 families of multipoint compression latching systems stand as a truly unique and unrivalled option for the EV Charging market.
More Than Just Seals
When most people think about keeping water, dust, and other contaminants out of enclosures, the first thought is almost always about what seals to use. As a leading supplier of enclosure gasketing, DIRAK will be the first to tell you that without a proper seal, an enclosure cannot protect its contents. That said, proper seals are only effective if they can be properly held in place.
This is where utilizing the best possible latching solution for your enclosure comes in. DIRAK has designed numerous unique and highly effective multi-point latching systems that are ideally suited for the highly demanding environment that many EV charging stations will be located in. DIRAK highly recommends using multi-point latching systems in outdoor enclosures such as EV charging stations and battery storage enclosures.
While we have numerous latching options available, the 3-211 and 3-215 compression latching system might be the best options as it:
- Provides up to 5 compression latch points from a single handle, reducing the inherent drawbacks of using multiple points of interface.
- Ensures evenly distributed pressure against the gasket by providing multiple points of latching.
- Can provide compression at all 3 unhinged sides of an enclosure door through a unique redirection system.
- Reduces the number of potential sealing failure points by limiting the number of holes cut into the door panel.
Versatile and Easily Configured
The DIRAK 3-211 and 3-215 latching systems comprise a system of latches that can be configured to suit various door sizes and dimensions. In an industry that sees everything from smaller low current charging stations on up to large battery storage units to support DC fast charging stations, DIRAK’s compression latching system can work with just about any size access door. Some of the key features that make this system so versatile include:
- Set up to anywhere from 1 to 5 latching points located at any position on the door thanks to the versatile rod-connected latches that can feature a redirection around the door’s corner.
- Various handle options including key locking, padlocking, and even electronically actuated.
- Latch points can be used with conventional cams with selectable clamping ranges.
- Can also be used with roller cams for even smoother and cleaner engagement.
CAD Models and Consultations Available
DIRAK’s 3-211 and 3-215 multipoint compression latching systems are an ideal fit for most outdoor rated EV charging enclosures. They feature a unique multi-point compression latching system that can be easily operated from a single handle on the outside of your enclosure. Their versatility allows them to be adapted to most door sizes, and the many different handle options ensure your preferred locking method can be accommodated.
If this latching system looks like it might be a good fit for your EV charging enclosure, please note that CAD models can be downloaded from our website for all the individual components. If you don’t see an option you were hoping to find, please use the form below to reach out to a DIRAK product specialist for a quick consultation. We are always developing variants and new options, and sometimes these just aren’t online yet.